With ten top tips from the carpet cleaning specialists at BISSELL
Spring is here and that can only mean one thing – it’s time to open up the windows, throw everyone out of the house and pay some attention to those areas of the home that are the hardest hit during winter – namely your carpets. Yes, it’s time for the annual Spring Clean.
But, if you are thinking vacuuming is enough, think again. According to the homecare experts at BISSELL, even the best vacuums simply can’t reach the deeply imbedded dirt within your carpet’s fibres. The process of carpet cleaning – engineered to reach the dirt and allergens left behind by vacuuming – is just as easy and can be done in a similar amount of time, with much more impressive results.
To help you make the most of your Spring Clean, we’ve developed ten top tips to get your house sparkling from top to bottom. So get out the serious cleaning supplies, stretch your scrubbing muscles and tackle those hard-to-reach places you ignore most of the year.
- Shape up and ship out the clutter. Doing one big sweep of toys, magazines and everyday bits and pieces to clear your carpets and surfaces will be a lot easier than trying to clean around the daily detritus of the family.
- Vacuum, pre-treat badly stained areas and then deep clean your carpets and rugs.A carpet washing machine injects a mixture of cleaning solution and warm water deep into carpet fibres. The brushes agitate, scrub and loosen the dirt or stain and then the powerful vacuum suction lifts it all away, leaving your home feeling and smelling fresh.
- It’s the job we all dread… cleaning the oven. So get cracking with that while you’re feeling motivated and get it out of the way.
- You’ve done the washing, but have you washed the washing machine? They can tend to build mould over time, so to make sure yours is spotless run an empty load, one cycle filled with 4 cups of bleach, the other with 4 cups of distilled white vinegar.
- Strip covers off cushions and sofas where possible, then load them into the washing machine, checking care labels to ensure you use the right settings.Of course, if you have a carpet cleaner which works on upholstery, such as a BISSELL CleanView® Proheat®, you can save yourself some time by using it to clean sofa upholstery, curtains and the mattress too. Your living room will have a new lease of life!
- Don’t forget the bed sheets: you’ll probably be washing these already, but use it as an opportunity to vacuum your mattress too. It’s a haven for dust mites which can wreak havoc for people who suffer from allergies.
- Let in more light: cleaning blinds can seem like a daunting task but it doesn’t have to be. Mix equal parts of warm water and distilled white vinegar in a bowl. Slip a sock on your hand and dip the sock into the water and vinegar mixture before wiping each slat individually.
- Bust the dust mites by giving the house a thorough dusting from high to low. Start with the ceilings, corners of walls and light fixtures. Use a lint roller to easily clean dust off lampshades and other soft furnishings.
- Your Spring Clean is the perfect time to to check batteries in smoke and fire alarms around the house. To be super safe you could even inspect light fixtures for damaged wires and faulty connections. Safety first!
- Impression marks left on carpets by furniture can be easily remedied. Simply rub an ice cube over the affected area and your carpet will be back to normal in no time.
For more information about BISSELL visit www.bisselldirect.co.uk