In my experience homeopathic treatment can be fantastic at balancing hormones so I thought I’d focus on PMS (pre-menstrual syndrome) for women. I see many women who suffer with all sorts of symptoms just before their period, so I thought it would be useful to give you five remedies which are particularly indicated for different PMS symptoms, all of which you can easily buy at your local health food shop.
- Calc carb – water retention, weight gain, tender breasts, digestive upsets and headaches. Tired, anxious and overwhelmed. Periods often come too early and last too long, sometimes with a flow of bright red blood. Chilliness with clammy hands and feet, and cravings for sweets and eggs.
- Nat mur – migraines, backache that’s better from lying on something hard or pushing a solid object against the painful place. Extremely sad and lonely, but don’t want consolation or sympathy. Depression, angry over minor things and prefer being alone to cry. Desire for salt, feeling very thirsty, and a tendency to feel worse in the sun.
- Nux vomica – impatient, pushy, and intolerant. Constipation and constricting pains extending to the rectum or tailbone. Uncomfortable, irregular periods, often with a nagging urge for a bowel movement beforehand. Anger, mental strain, physical exertion, and overindulgence in coffee, alcohol or food make things worse. Chilliness helped by warmth and rest.
- Pulsatilla – irritable, weepy and changeable moods, with queasy feelings, nausea, and faintness. Worse for being too warm or in a stuffy room; fresh air can help. Timing, amount and nature of the menstrual flow are also changeable. Emotional and needy, wanting a lot of attention and comfort.
- Sepia – late periods or scanty flow with a dragging feeling. Feel taken for granted and overworked, and get irritable or sarcastic. Want to be alone. Dampness and perspiring may aggravate symptoms. Better for warmth and exercise, especially dancing!
Choose the remedy that best fits your symptoms, and take it in a 30c potency up to three times a day before or during your period when you experience your symptoms.
If symptoms persist, always seek professional advice from your Homeopath or GP.
Cassie Everett is a Homeopathic practitioner available for consultations in London or via Skype. Contact Cassie for a free 15-minute consultation to see if Homeopathy could help you. 07588 820 409, www.absolutehomoepathy.co.uk